BEHIND THE WHEEL TRAINING
- Behind-the-wheel instruction may be taken separately or in conjunction with theory instruction.
- Behind-the-wheel instruction provides students with six (6) hours of training—six hours behind the wheel of a BCIU-provided car.
- The curriculum complies with current Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) regulations and all instructors are PDE-certified.
- Students may receive .10 academic credits for successfully completing behind-the-wheel instruction, depending on their school district’s policy.
- Students who complete the 6-hour course should access their “My Learning Plan” account to print the Certificate of Driver Training to apply for a reduction in insurance premium. Students should contact their insurance company for more information. Reduction of insurance premium is granted at the discretion of the insurance company.
- Student drivers wishing to participate in the behind-the-wheel component of driver training must be 16 years old and possess a current learner’s permit.
- Instructors will make individual appointments for behind-the-wheel training for evenings, Saturdays, or Sundays.
- There is no deadline for registering for behind-the-wheel instruction. Registrants will be contacted by the instructor, who arranges the time and day of driving instructions. Names are added to the behind-the-wheel training list as registration forms are received.
Registration for behind-the-wheel training is accepted for all Berks County students throughout the year. However, due to a high volume of students, there is a waiting period.
Cost – $305.00
You must register online through My Learning Plan.
- Click View the Course Catalog below.**
- Once you click the link below, you will be redirected to the Frontline Education page. At the top of the page, below the search bar, you will see a drop down menu with the words “Select one or more options” in it.
- Click on it and check the box next to the words “Driver Training Program.“
- On the next line, change the date to 5/1/2018. The end date can remain the same.
- Click Search.
- “Behind the Wheel Instruction 18-19 SY” will show up in the search box. Click on it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, in the middle, click on Enroll.
- Select “I’m a New User” (to create an account). You will enter first name, last name, and email address. Please keep in mind that this information must be in the student’s name.
- Please continue to answer the series of questions to complete the registration process.
- NOTE: You must enter your credit card information to register for the course. However, your credit card will NOT be charged until the driver education instructor has confirmed the first lesson with the student.
- In order to complete the registration process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your Driver ID# and Driver’s Test Eligibility Date.
- If you forget your username and password, e-mail email@example.com.
PARENT & STUDENT REQUIREMENTS
- Student must possess a current learner’s permit to register for behind-the-wheel instruction.
- Student must complete 55 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction prior to the start of the first behind-the-wheel lesson.
- This course is solely for high school students. A student may remain in the behind-the-wheel program up to and including August 31, after high school graduation, to pass the behind-the-wheel course. After this time, the BCIU is unable to administer the end-of-skills driving test.
- In order for the driver education instructor to administer the end-of-skills driving test, the student is required to complete 65 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction, in addition to passing either the online theory instruction course, or an accredited classroom course.
- Student is entitled to receive one end-of-skills driving test from the driver education teacher (if the teacher has the credentials to give the end-of-skills test). If the student fails the test, he/she must schedule the next test with the local driving center.
- Your CREDIT CARD will be charged $305.00 when the instructor confirms the date of the student’s first lesson.
- Refunds will not be granted once the student begins behind-the-wheel instruction.
- Student/Parent must cancel at least 24 hours ahead by either contacting the instructor, or the BCIU at 610-987-8584. If you do not call and do not arrive for the lesson, a $30.00 fee may be assessed before you can receive a certificate of completion. Instructors will wait fifteen minutes after the scheduled start time of a lesson. After the fifteen minute grace period, the student has missed the lesson and will be charged accordingly.
- Please Note: A valid learner’s permit is required at the time of each lesson. Student may not drive without it. Failure to bring along the permit will also be considered a missed lesson.
- Upon completion of the six required lesson if additional lessons are necessary, there will be a $30.00 fee for each additional lesson.
- Failure to provide your Driver ID Number and Driver Test Eligibility Date to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately following registration on My Learning Plan will delay the completion of your registration.
- Please note that due to the high volume of students served, there generally is a waiting period.
>> Click here for a printable copy of these requirements.
>> Click here for a driver education brochure.
To receive more information: please call the BCIU Driver Training hotline at 610-987-8584, or email at email@example.com.