BCIU Pre-K Counts Mission:
To provide high quality, comprehensive services to all enrolled Pre-K Counts children and their families. By forming a partnership with parents, staff, and community members, we offer services designed to promote the healthiest, safest environment in which children, families, and staff can thrive and reach their full potential.
ALL families encouraged to apply.
BCIU Pre-K Counts Goals:
- Prepare and teach preschool children the school readiness skills needed to be ready for school success.
- Foster his or her intellectual, social, and emotional growth.
- Provide opportunities for children and families in our program that will help prepare them for future school and life successes.
- Increase the chance of doing well in school, attending college or trade school, and having a successful career.
All of this can start by enrolling your child in a BCIU PA Pre-K Counts classroom!
What can I expect from a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
BCIU PA Pre-K Counts classrooms will:
- Employ teachers with the education and expertise to teach young children
- Allow children to participate in indoor and outdoor play daily
- Use a research-based curriculum that will help your child grow, academically and socially
- Regularly review your child’s progress and choose teaching and learning activities that are best for your child
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to kindergarten
- Provide nutritious lunch and snacks daily
- Open five hours daily Monday through Friday from September to June
Who is eligible for BCIU Pre-K Counts?
BCIU PA Pre-K Counts is designed for children who:
- Are between age 3 (by 8/31) and the entry age for kindergarten, and
- BCIU PA Pre-K Counts is free to eligible families. Families earning up to 300% of the federal poverty level (for a family of four earning $75,300 or less).
- The portion of the day that is funded through Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts is free to families.
Where are BCIU PA Pre-K Counts classrooms located?
The BCIU PA Pre-K Counts classrooms are in the following locations:
- Reading, Antietam vicinity
- Brandywine Heights Area School District
- Conrad Weiser Area School District
- Daniel Boone Area School District
- Exeter Township School District
- Hamburg Area School District
- Twin Valley Elementary Center
How can I enroll my child in a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
We need the following to enroll your child:
- Completed application **
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Copies of your most recent W-2 forms
- Most current physical
For enrollment information contact:
BCIU Pre-K Counts | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you live in the Reading School District? Call Esmerelda Calderon at 610-987-8613.
Not in the Reading School District? Call Theresa Figueroa at 610-987-8614.
- Or download an application here:
Application Cover Letter – english | español
** PA Pre-K Counts Application – english | español
- Or visit one of these locations to get a paper copy
- BCIU Main Office,1111 Commons Blvd., Reading
- BCIU Learning Center at the Education Centre, 2101 Centre Ave., Reading
- Daniel Boone Area Primary Center, 576 Monocacy Creek Road, Birdsboro
- Brandywine Heights Elementary Center, 445 W. Barkley St., Topton
- Conrad Weiser West Elementary School, 102 S. 3rd St., Womelsdorf
- Muhlenberg Elementary Center, 610 Sharp Ave., Reading
- Owatin Creek Elementary School in Exeter Township School District, 5000 Boyertown Pike, Reading
- Tilden Elementary Center in Hamburg Area School District, 524 West State St., Hamburg
- Honey Brook Elementary in the Twin Valley School District, 1530 Walnut Road, Honey Brook
Return completed application with copies of all required documents:
- By mail to:
Pre-K Counts Program – Berks County Intermediate Unit
P.O. Box 16050, 1111 Commons Blvd
Reading, PA 19612-6050
- Fax #: 610-898-8905
- By email:
Reading School District families, please email Esmerelda Calderon at email@example.com
All other districts, please email Theresa Figueroa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Jennifer Wentzel, Assistant Program Administrator | 610-987-8259 | email@example.com