HOW SCHOOLS CAN HELP
- Contact the homeless student liaison in your school district.
- Administrators can help by knowing the rights of the homeless and encouraging sensitivity.
- Principals can help by welcoming the families and training staff in federal and state policies.
- Secretaries can help by assisting parents with forms and by not bringing about special attention.
- Counselors can help by knowing local community resources for housing, food, clothing, etc.
- School nurses can help by expediting immunization and health records.
- Social workers and school visitors can help by making school forms and information available.
- Transportation staff can help by arranging for children to attend their original school.
To recommend a student to the Homeless Student Program, please complete and submit a BCIU intake form.
For more information about the rights of homeless students in Berks, Chester, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, and Schuylkill counties,
Beth Rothermel - 610-987-8509 - firstname.lastname@example.org